Thursday, March 22, 2007

Acupuncture versus...?

Becoming an acupuncturist is not generally something we in "the west" grow up thinking we are going to become, and yet more and more of us are doing just that. I often wonder what people's perception of us acupuncturists is. There is absolutely a certain degree of intrigue and mystification - "why would you spend all that time and all that money to stick needles in people for a living?", "can you make a living?", "does it work?". And yet I find myself here.

But, stop! Let me introduce myself. I'm Anna. I started Lokahi Acupuncture here in San Jose, California. And let me introduce Angie - acupuncturess extraordinaire! Together we spend our days dealing with aches and pains, periods late, missed or just plain strange, hot flashes and insomnia and general stress. We love each and every one of our patients for they make us laugh, light up our hearts and make us feel needed.

I was pondering whilst driving the other day. If I was not an acupuncturist, what would I do? I couldn't come up with a single alternative that appealed ... teaching - a definite possibility, nursing - maybe, but at the end of the day, my job rocks! Sure, there are days when it dosen't rock quite so much, when I doubt myself and doubt the wisdom of doing something for a living that almost inevitably elicits some question of it's efficacy, but it is still worth every moment of it.
Wishing you a fabulous day, and hoping that you too love your groove,
~ Anna