Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Taking my own medicine

Many of my postings have been focused on learning to "take my own medicine". I think that it is so easy for us all to get caught up in everything but ourselves that sometimes we forget to simply check-in with ourselves and see how we are doing.
Today it became very clear to me that unless I manage my schedule in a manner which is consistent with what I urge others to do, then I am not 'practicing' my medicine, in the most literal sense of the word. But it takes time and introspection to figure out that we might need to take a sick day for our mental health, take the evening off and go to the movies, or book a holiday! Yes, people, we all need holidays! We cannot be on our game for 52 weeks of the year. The Europeans have got it right, and have the philosophy that we can only be as productive as our minds and bodies are healthy .... rest is the ultimate healer.
So, go for it - take a few minutes and plan a holiday. It dosen't have to be a 2 week extravanganza - it can be as little as an afternoon walking in the park. The idea is to take a break.